Sunday, July 11, 2010

It's All Over but the Riots

The World Cup is over.
I know.
I watched the whole thing bleed out and die personally.
In a restaurant in Montreal.
I watched the entire match with other comics who didn't have the sense to not watch it.
115 hours of tepid action, punctuated with one goal.
It was fabulously adequate.

Now there are people honking car horns and brandishing flags without the usual nationalistic caution.
It's sickening.
I wouldn't find the display so aggravating if it wasn't for the motorcade of units behind the whole thing.
Banging on their car doors.
Shouting things with their shirts off.
What a crock of shit.
You don't need a soccer game to take pride in your country and get piss-wasted hammered.
That's what the olympics are for.


1 comment:

Steely Man said...

Beautifully and perfectly said. I don't even know who won... yet. I'm sure it will pop up on some random website or out of some random co-workers mouth.

Blog Archive