Thursday, March 12, 2015

Stand By Your Mixtapes

I make no apologies for my musical tastes or history.
You shouldn't either.
I've heard several people with arts degrees rationalize to one another why it's "okay" to be into Taylor Swift, or Perry or whoever.
I miss the era that none of us lived through when you listened to music because you yourself thought it sounded good.
Don't let the fans force you to shelter your playlist under a blanket with the lights out as if you're hiding smokes from your parents.
Even if 99% of an artist's fans are hard-ons, that doesn't mean that you are.
Even if the artist is a hard-on and you enjoy their sound, that doesn't mean you have anything to be embarrassed about.
It's just music. That's separate from all of the bullshit that comes with musicians.
I really love Flashing Lights, but I think that Kanye would benefit (actually benefit) from being horribly disfigured somehow. Like, if he lost an eye or something. Here's a dope MC who just doesn't have his head on right.
Death Cab For Cutie is one of my favourite bands, and I know that they're all card-carrying, hardcore vegans.
I love their music, however that doesn't mean I have to like them too, or stand by "where they're coming from."
Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to share a bus ride with them. 



(The poor fellow doing vocals here, Tony Sly, died in 2012).



edit: This should go without saying, but to avoid potential lawsuits, please remember that if you are in fact hiding smokes from your parents, never light them under a blanket.
Otherwise, enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Archive