Friday, August 30, 2013

Alma Mater Matters

I'm not hungover, exactly, but I do wish I was still in bed.
I dropped by my buddy Scott's last night.
Scott is quickly turning into that long-standing friend who you want to keep around in case you ever need to borrow money.
We had beers with an old Acadia buddy and then we had hamburger dogs with a slightly older buddy (ol' Joshey).
As busy as Dave Chappelle, Scott has a huge case that he's working on, and his free time totals nil.
I pondered this last night as he rambled on about how busy he was while I tried not to stare at his veneers
(I still haven't gotten used to them).
If have free time, which I often do, I spend it alone in my room, or down at the sushi house.
Scott spends it with old college buddies.
There's something important to that.
As we traversed a hamster's maze of overhead walkways en route to meet Brendan-
"What's he been up to? Is he living in America [Brendan's from Maine]?"
"I dunno, man. I haven't talked to him in years."
"So, what's he doing now? Does he have a wife or a baby?"
"I dunno, man. I really have no idea what he's been up to."
"Well, that's good, that puts you and I on the same page, then.
Does he know I'm coming?"
"Nope."
"Well, that'll be a nice surprise for him."
-Scott had a couple of people greet him as we passed.
Meanwhile, the bums don't ask me for change
You have to make time for people.
You also have to lock your windows at night, kids.
The northern face of Halifax has seen a rash of break-ins lately.
Thieves are primarily making off with the family jewels and the Xbox controllers.
While we sat outside that night, a copper shone his light into our yard and asked if we'd heard any bushels rustle.
The neighbor's alarm had gone off.
It's only when something like this happens right on your doorstep that you realize:
Cops have exceptionally bright flashlights.
Anyway, don't look at me.
I'll stick to robbing grocery stores, thank you.

Brendan didn't have a wife, but he did bring along a woman.
He was in town for a wedding.
While making conversation with her, I asked how long they had been together.
She replied with, "Three months."
This is the exact time frame in which you start going to weddings together.
And the first wedding you go to together is the point where you look at the other person and either say, "Yeah, alright."
Or, you say to yourself, "Jesus, does he always eat this many shrimp at a buffet?
In public?
I've gotta get out of this."
It's a very deciding time to be at a wedding.
Luckily, I was too distracted to mention this because I was trying not to look at her breasts through her semi-see-through dress.

No comments:

Blog Archive