Thursday, July 24, 2014

Don't Cost A Thing

Written the yesterday before yesterday, Corner Brook Tim Horton's (da one by Dominion):

I'm writing this on a...I think it was an info tag for a life jacket.
Y'know the sort; they attach them to winter coats all the time.

DESIGNED WITH INLAID ZIPPERS AND GORETEX© SWEAT POCKET™ TECHNOLOGY

"That should impress the fellas. I'll take it!"
They always look at the price tag second.
"$280 goddamn dollars! That should impress the fellas. I'll take it!"
There are more life jackets in my day-to-day lately. Yet, I've been doing very little boating...
I'm in Corner Brook dropping dollars because the missus' birthday is fast approaching.
The circus tent is paid off (sold me quad), but I couldn't afford the 3D-printed balloon animal machine, and it looks as though the contortionist may not make it.
She says she has rickets, but I think she's found a better gig.
I find girlfriend birthday parties a little intimidating, to be honest.
Some women go in for the pearl necklace or spa facial (I chose sexual terms purposefully there. I don't know why), but my baby don't need the finery.
Lavish items don't really clang her bell.
Now, a lot of guys would say, "Awesome, bro! That's more money for brewskies!"
No guys I would associate with, mind you, but they're out there.
Fair, but my woman loves a nice outing. A good adventure. An event.
However, I've spent the last 5 years or so as a bit of a shut-in.
Consequently, my imagination gets a little gummy with a day out.
"Hmm...do people still roller skate? Not really?"
After which I just suggest a bunch of stuff that I want to do, and that's just it:
I spend too much time thinking of myself.
It's why this blog exists.
I run into trouble because I'm not valueing the things she loves; the things she will enjoy.
So, I will try my best to come up with a good day for Andie.
Each day she invigorates within me a slight desire to get out. To see something. To be myself among people, rather than being myself by myself.
It's the gift she gives me.
The least I can do is wake up first, make breakfast and greet the day with the fervor she does.



No comments:

Blog Archive