Thursday, July 3, 2014

Steward's Log; May 4, 2014

No form of transportation eludes me! In a Ford Windstar I make haste towards Newfoundland's Gander Airport. Due to particulars unforeseen and largely unexplained, I am to be transplanted to another vessel which currently rests in old Quebec City. I shall take to the skies in little more than an hour hence. As it stands, I am not to sojourn alone; my co-worker and cooking superior has been summoned as well, and we are to accompany one another en route. Irving, so he is called, is a curious fellow and quite deaf. Despite a pair of rather conspicuous listening devices, each affixed an ear, he seems unable to discern a single utterance of mine, necessitating my repetition of all things - despite my effort to speak at him with a volume well beyond my casual frequency. Regardless, the two of us get by, acting as a somewhat efficient 'team' in the galley. For my part, I accomplish this through patient repetition of all that I say, and I garnish my shoutings with pantomime wherever possible. By a stroke of coincidence we hail from the same hometown, though we have discovered no mutual acquaintances. He is getting on in age, and his memory seems to be at the vanguard of time's punishment. It is rumoured that his betrothed is quite ill, poor fellow. He continues to travail so as to afford the medications that provide her comfort. A noble cause, and it is perhaps because of this labour's love that he works with such vigor, as I myself have trouble keeping his pace, though I am nearly half his age. This fervor is matched in equal part by his dedication to tobacco cigarettes, of which he appears to be in infinite supply. He has informed me that in thirty years of seamanship, he has never found this supply depleted while on the water.
From Quebec we are to sail to an occasional port, slowly making our way back to Lewisporte once more. It pains me to write that among these destinations, Halifax is not listed. I hold out hope that we may frequent there, so as to see my lady love once more, if only for an evening. I miss her terribly and yearn for her touch.
Ah! The airport is before us. Now to unload my provisions, of which I packed too many.

No comments:

Blog Archive