Monday, February 16, 2015

Demi-Glace, Semi-Gloss, The Glossary

As of 2015 (what year is it now?) I decided to add a glossary to my blog. This is it.
If you come across an emboldened word, clicking the link should bring you here, where I will explain said word in some cutesy, demeaning way.

Andrea: Married to Brian.

"Around the bay": This is a Newfoundland expression that is actually sorta self-explanatory, I guess. It any context I'll be using it in, it describes leaving the area of St. John's in order to get to another part of the island that involves a bay in some way. Going "around the bay" almost certainly means leaving St. John's in order to drive to my home in Bay Roberts (an hour away).

Brian: Middle brother and all-around black sheep. By the time I was old enough to get in trouble, I rarely did because Brian was generally doing something far more concerning from a parent's point-of-view. Brian was the first male at our high school (and, truly, probably our entire town) to pierce both of his earlobes. Brian has given me several hundred 'charley horses'.

Bridey Malloy's/The Celtic Hearth: This is a combination of restaurants on George Street, housed in the same building and accommodated by the same kitchen, which I worked in for a summer. Read my retelling of the job's interview here (it's about halfway through this gigantic post). The locations are both 24-hour operations, one of the few establishments to boast this sort of open-all-nightery on the street. Consequently, I prepared a lot of nachos for drunk people while working a lot of night shifts. 

Charlotte: Married to Colin.

Colin: Eldest brother and card-carrying curmudgeon. Easily the contrariest person I know. Colin enjoys wearing pajama pants and hates/loves a day's work. Colin once captured a lizard while we were vacationing in Florida which he left it in a glass encasement on a picnic table at our campground while we went to Disneyland. When we got home that evening the lizard was very dead and somewhat melted.

George Street: Located in St. John's, the capital city of Newfoundland, this street (allegedly) boasts the greatest number of bars per capita in all of North America. I cannot verify this fact with confidence, but I can assure you that I have vomited there many times.

Mozzy: Newfoundland term. Referring to a specific sort of precipitation, 'mozzy' is not quite drizzle and not quite rain, but it is somewhere in-between. A heavy drizzle would be an acceptable definition, I suppose.

On da go: A Newfoundland expression, this means sex, kinda. To get a woman 'on the go' is to start dating or sleeping with them, or both. 

No comments:

Blog Archive