Monday, February 16, 2015

Labels/Tags Explained (Finallly)

It's been several years. High time I explained what the tags or 'labels' on the blog actually refer to. If a label listed on the side of the page is not in this list, it is in the process of being phased out.
Feel free to recommend additional labels. Feel free to do anything at all; don't let the man get you down.
Labels. Here they are:

*Glossary: A new addition as of 2015 (as of today, in fact), the glossary is designed to explain blog mainstays (family, friends, pets, shortcomings) to newcomers and old patrons alike. 

9 to 5: These posts are those relating in any way, shape or form to me being at work or at a job. Also encompasses posts that involve me getting fired from jobs.

A Postcard Town: Just before Tragic Hero's inception, I had lived for two years in Banff, Alberta (Canada's first National Park). It was a beautiful place at the base of a mountain range full of attractive 20-somethings contracting diseases and doing drugs. These are posts that involve Banff in some way.

Academia: Posts relating in any way to my being in class or completing work for a course. Also includes any posts in which I discuss professors I find sexy.

An Expensive School: After graduating from high school, I went to a post-secondary institution on my parents' dime like so many other white people with teacher-parents. Why not pick the most expensive in your country? These are posts relating to my time spent at Acadia University.

Baby Love: A newer label, this one relates to posts that discuss the new babies in my life that my loved ones are endlessly producing these days. They primarily include my nieces Willow and Holly and the children of my best friends; Rowan, Ellis and Grant belonging to Peter and Turpin (now dead) and Victoria and Isabella, belonging to Robert and Christa.

Calendar Days: Big days as far as my, or the Julian calendar, are concerned.

Comedy: All posts relating to my being a stand-up comedian. Show descriptions are in here. Also includes my thoughts on being a comic and how unsuccessful comedy is at getting me sex.

Da B'ys: A Newfoundland term that men use to refer to their closest buddies. Ergo, these posts are about my closest buddies.

Da Missus: Similarly, a Newfoundland term (I'm sure it's used in other parts of the world, too) that refers to my special woman. This person has remained more constant in the past few years.

Intoxication (formerly 'Drug Use'): Posts that involve me being drunk or stoned. A great place to start if you're a potential employer.

Embarrassing Myself: Any post that involves me embarrassing myself. Sometimes I'm surprised there aren't more that fall into this category. As of my last checking the blog stats, this is the most popular label.

Flirting With You: These are posts written about a specific woman in my head whom I never had the guts to communicate my actual feelings to years beforehand. If you're a woman who spent time with me and you believe I may have been into you, you can sift through these to try and place yourself among the posts, though I would hope that you have better things to do with your time. If not, then you should move on. Forget about me!

Forgetting Something Important: Self-explanatory. This practice often gets me into sticky situations.

Girls I Once Saw Naked: Posts about exes.

Givin' It Out: Another Newfoundland term, this expression means to complain vehemently, or more specifically, it means ranting. These are rants.

God: Giant Man in the sky who bums money off of mortals.

Hurting Myself: Self-explanatory.

I'm Talkin' To You: These are posts that involve me addressing the public in a frank or straightforward way. The public rarely responds.

In The News: Any post relating to current events/recent headlines. That is, recent when they were written.

Insomnia: I have trouble sleeping sometimes. These are posts relating to this. I'll probably get rid of this label because I don't have trouble sleeping often enough to make a label about it.

It's Friday: A label that came into play a few years ago, these are posts that take place on Fridays, which I begin by saying, "Something something something, it's Friday!" It makes sense if you read a couple. This label is more for myself in order to keep track of them. This gimmick is specically and blatantly stolen from The Simpsons' episode "The Simpons Files" (the one with Moulder and Scully of the X-Files).

Just My Luck: This is sarcasm. These are posts about things going just slightly askew enough as to fuck up my day. Unlucky posts.

Lemme Get Serious For A Minute: Self-explanatory. Posts in which I stop fucking around and try to 'get real' with my readers.

Me Causing A Scene: Any situation in which 'normal' people are startled or confused by what I'm doing. Usually involves me breaking something.

Me In The Shower: Just what you came here to read about! Any post that has me in the shower.

Mortality: Any post that has me pondering the flimsiness of my mortality-a subject I obsess about.

Music: Any post in which I pretend to be hip enough to recommend music to other people.

Mustache: Any post that involves me sporting a mustache or growing a mustache. Please note: this label existed before "Movember" was a thing. I fuckin' hate Movember.

My Brothers: Any posts relating to one or both of my older brothers, Brian and Colin.

My Parents: Any post relating to my overbearing, kind-hearted, annoying parents.

Nothing in Particular: Any post that doesn't fit into the other labels. These are usually just musings about cats or whatever.

Poem: All posts that contain any of my poetry.

Proud of the Title: Any post that has a title I'm fond of. I take the titles of blog posts much more seriously than the posts themselves, generally.

Sex: Intercourse.

Stills: Posts that contain more photographs than words. Not a lot of these.

The Dog: Posts involving my girlfriend's dog, Gabby, who is also my dog (for as long as I have the girlfriend).

The Hired Help: Any post that refers to other people at work. These primarily deal with my interactions with retail employees.

The State of the Union: These posts refer to the general state of the human race (or, more often, the state of North American culture).

Turpin: Any post about my best friend Sarah who convinced me to start this blog in the first place. Turpin died of some bullshit cancer on October 3, 2014. It sucked.

Wardrobe: Any post that involves my whacky clothing choices.

No comments:

Blog Archive