Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Lonely Planet

Have a good time in Mars.
What happened to sending chimps first, that's what I wanna know.
Animal activists have actually come that far - they'll be damned if a monkey will be shot into space on their watch, so let's send some substitute teachers from Arizona instead.
These poor monkeys have families.
Mars! You don't come back from Mars.
I just watched them interview a Mars One finalist from B.C. on the television.
The reporter asked her the obvious question:
"How do you feel about the whole 'one-way ticket' thing?
Aren't you concerned about landing on Mars and then staying there?"
What did the woman from B.C. say? What else could she say?
What other sort of person could ever be convinced to do something like this?
She said, "Well, sure it's scary, but it's such an adventure."
What an airhead.
If you want adventure, you don't blast off to fucking Mars.
It's much less complicated to rent a hang glider down south somewhere.
I can't even talk about it, it's too frustrating.
They've all been convinced that they're going to be honored as some heroic group of pioneers.
Instead, they'll be associated with going back to the drawing board.
We're talking about colonizing planets. I'll say it again: colonizing planets.
Do these people really think that we're going to get that right the first time?
Please.
These finalists need to research the origin of flight, learn about how many sods plummeted to their deaths along the way.
Nobody remembers those guys, and these (doomed) Mars One people are living out the exact same concept.
It's right in the article, in black and white. This is one of the organizers or commanders or whatever:

"...the organization believes its greatest need is not to find the smartest or most-skilled people, but rather the people most dedicated to the cause."

Apparently, these space cases aren't great at reading between the lines.
"We'll send up the capable people after the first wave of losers set up the tents and die of various causes that we haven't accounted for yet."
I'm not sure how intelligent these people are supposed to be, but anyone as intelligent as one should be to colonize a planet would never agree to go in the first place.
I don't give a shit how many parabolic flights these finalists have been on - how many times they puked in that thing that spins around really fast, you can't convince me that they have really thought this through.
They haven't. If the woman I saw on television had thought this through, she would have been weeping during the interview.
"I'm going to Mars. I'll never come home. I'll probably die within the first year."
Half of them probably expect to see a Subway or A&W immediately after they land.
I can't express how upsetting I find this. But I guess I just tried my best to express it.
And now I'm done.
"It'll be such an adventure!"
Have a nice trip. We'll all be thinking about you until the first week has passed when we'll forget about you entirely. 
Alright, now I'm done.
Mars.
Honest to Jesus.

edit: Just to clarify, I'm not upset that these people are being sent in the first place. Sacrifice is necessary for progress. I'm upset that these fools are daft enough to agree to go. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cracked up...brilliant!!!

Blog Archive