Monday, July 23, 2012

I Christen Thee...

The tall ships are in Halifax, currently.
In fact, they may have weighed anchor today. I'm not sure.
They may be back on the water now. 
Drunk and nostalgic, I wandered near their bobbing hulls on Saturday night, joined by old friends and lovers.
I eyed their decks (recently swabbed) and leaned back to take in their tallness.
Realizing that thirty is just a rejuvenation, as twenty was.
More so, it is a better one.
You're old enough to realize it's happening. 
Craving a Caesar, I wondered how many people lived and died on boats such as these.
Real lives rather than replicas.
Tall ships that weren't in glass bottles.

I did a show on Friday in Middleton.
Heart of the Valley Festival.
It was a great time.
I was on the show with my concubine, Brian Aylward.
As well as the Cash Cab guy (he has a name; it's Adam Growe).
Makes you think: If someone offered me a TV show, would it really be best to take it?
The answer, of course, is 'yes'.
The money in television is too stupid to turn down.
Ask Jim Belushi and he'll tell you the same.
But who wants to be referred to as the Cash Cab Guy?
"Paul Warford."
"Never heard of him."
"You'd know him if you saw him. He's the Instant Cash guy."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah. He's the voice of the ATM machine. He has made it."
"Wait, if he does the voice, I still wouldn't recognize him if I saw him, would I?"
"Oh. No, I guess not."
"Fuck that guy. The show is stupid anyway."
"Yeah. That show is definitely welfare."
It's so hard to know what counts as success and what doesn't...

No comments:

Blog Archive