Thursday, November 1, 2007

riding coach

I always sit in the back.
I don't even think about it anymore.
My brother's made me sit in the backseat of the car for my entire youth stage of life.
Getting into the front seat was a joke.
"Look, the little one's being funny again."
Brian pulled me out of shotgun while visiting Nan once when I was about 13, and he almost broke my tailbone. I should have known better. I was in the jeep. There's a lot of height to the jeep.
It was a rugged vehicle.
I used to ride in the back of all of the 2-doors because of my size, which never stops haunting me.
My gauntness. My gangly routine.
Now I must give way to girlfriends and fiancees.

Antoine made me sit in the back if we were going anywhere in his car, and more than he and I were involved.
"Paul, get in the back," he'd say, while unlocking the door to the Laser.
Antoine refused to put the windows up in his car while driving. He is the first person I have met who legitimately enjoys being cold, incessantly.
I do not enjoy being cold.
So, it's February, and it's -30 degrees outside, and Antoine has the windows on both sides of the car down. To the jamb.
Snow is blowing into my face. We're doing 100km plus on the highway.
Me: Hey dickface, you wanna put up the window a little bit?
Antoine (inhaling cigarette smoke): No dice (exhale).
The fact that I'm 25 now changes nothing with my brothers and transport.
I am still the youngest.
It is not a matter contested, even to this day.
It's truly a surprise that I turned out as 'normal' as I did.
And that I did not start seeing a psychiatrist by the age of four.

No comments:

Blog Archive