Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Miss Opportunity, I Presume"

At Acadia, I'm in line for the soy sauce.
Never tasted right, meal hall soy sauce.
Especially the time I confused the giant plastic container of soy sauce for the giant plastic container of maple syrup.
I would have noticed the difference in consistency if there had been one.
Anyway!
The petite blond woman I'd seen around is behind me.
She mentions, "You're in my Psych whatever class."
She was very pleasant to look at.
Remember what's her face from Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place?
She was like a less confident version of that woman.
That woman's second cousin, maybe.
I say, "Oh really? I hadn't noticed."
Charlie (Chaz), my future roommate, happens to overhear this.
Impatiently, "Fuck, Screech. Don't tell a woman you don't remember her."
I was just being honest.
This one wasn't like that:
Saturday I'm in a booth with Brian Aylward at Brewster's.
Brewster's, side bar, is Canada's bastion for attractive women over forty.
It really is.
So, we're waiting to get onstage.
We'd been on the night before (with an additional 150 extra human beings in the audience).
I've done a few other weekends there.
Waitress takes our drink order.
Brian says she's from Newfoundland.
I ask if she's told him this, or...
He can just tell, he says.
I want to prove him right rather than wrong, really. I assume he's correct.
She comes back with our Mint Juleps.
I say, with my arm arched back across the booth-
You know, the way I sit in booths when I'm trying to seem confident?
I tried to find a picture of me doing this, which I figured would be easy, but I couldn't.
It doesn't matter. You know what I mean.
I say, "Pardon me for being intrusive, but are you from Newfoundland?"
"Yeah, we talked about it before."
Derailed.
"We did?"
"Yeah, while you were on stage."
She goes off to another table while Brian points out that I'm not going to have sex with her.
One down.
I later regale Kyle Hickey (my current roommate) with the story.
"Paul, you act like you remember them."
Sometimes I worry that my capital P problem-
Not just with women-
Is that I don't learn from my mistakes.

No comments:

Blog Archive