Monday, January 9, 2012

Progress Comes Calling

I just left my gloves on the bus.
But at least I managed to return my library books.
Only cost me bus fare plus whatever it costs to buy gloves.
Didn't read a word of them, by the way.
The library is a great place to go when you feel like pretending to turn your life around.
"I'm gonna read some books.
I'm going to better myself.
The Creation of the Media?
Sounds like a nice, light read.
We'll start there."
Instead I just kept the books on my shelf for two months and then lost my gloves while returning them.
Maybe next time.

I'm afraid that I don't have a lot to give you people.
I was sick for a number of days.
Then I just kinda stayed indoors to be sure that I milked the most down time from the cold as possible.
So I don't have many sexy encounters to tell you about.

Everyone has a baby now.
And everyone who rides the bus with their baby doesn't want their baby.
You can tell.
Funny thing is that a lot of the bus babies don't seem to want their parents either.
I hope my friends don't end up taking their babies on the bus.
Metaphorically speaking.

I wish we still used land lines.
These are phones I'm talking about.
I've dumped on cell phones before, despite the fact that I use one every day.
And despite the fact that I text and send photos of my genitals to well-wishers, I still hate it.
This and other hypocritical statements!
Seriously, though.
Sometimes it's good to not be home.
Or not be out.
To be not around. Unavailable.
Sometimes I see people in distant, remote places in BBC documentaries.
And I ask myself, "Who's happier - them or me?"
It's an important thing to ask yourself from time to time.
I know I've been kind of "deep" lately, and I guess I (grudgingly) apologize for that.
It must be all of those library books I've been checking out lately.
But if we evolved this far past the cave man, shouldn't we be happier than the cave man?
We probably are; we have matches and lighters.
But happier than the turn-of-the-twentieth-century homestead owner?
I'm not so sure.
Not because we have cell phones and they didn't.
That's stupid.
But perhaps because they had everything they needed.
And now we can never need enough.
How can you feel good when you have a looming sense of obligation that never goes away?
"What other movie have I seen him in?"
...
"No, I know I've seen him in something.
Now I've gotta look it up!"
...
"Money Talks! I knew it! I knew he did something besides Rush Hour."
He's gotta look it up.
He's just gotta.

No comments:

Blog Archive