Friday, February 24, 2012

Blue Belles

The first dance I ever went to, I requested my date wear a specific dress.
Then I forgot to bring the blue suedes, and consequently had to wear my boots.
I was in grade two.
Leanne Badcock had a sparkly blue dress I really appreciated.
No one has a sexuality or figure in grade two, so I'm not sure why it mattered to me.
Though kids do have a favourite colour in grade two.
Mine was blue.
Leanne also wore the dress to a birthday party of mine.
(At the Jambowl. You bowled there).
During which I cut the cake, made a crumb, named her my girlfriend, and watched her run out of the building.
While crying.
I tried to play it cool.
"She'll be back.
She has to return the shoes."
If you're wondering why I chose Leanne, it's because Natalie was with Trevor.
That joke will make sense to about 16 people.
None of whom read this blog.
Knowing Leanne as an adult, I'm not sure it would have worked out anyway.
I asked Turpin for a reason for why we wouldn't work out (without specifying why I was asking).
She said, "Her voice."
Not a bad answer.

I only mention all of this as a way of explanation for all of my former lovers.
Who are reading this saying, "So that's why he made me wear that."

There's a lingerie store in Halifax that featured living models during Christmas.
Upon seeing this, my first instinct was to set up a lawn chair in front of them.
On the sidewalk, in front of the window.
Cover myself with a blanket, and stare at them with binoculars.
That's not true.
There were living models.
But everything else I only made up today.
It came to me after walking past the lingerie shop.
Thinking, "I wish those living models were still in there."

No comments:

Blog Archive