Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rubbing Elbows

My greatest regret of today (this week, this month):
Moments ago. I'm walking home from the library.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I could not read the article I wished to read.
I decided to read it after class, and found a random stoolie to get the article out for me.
Ian, wherever you are, I now have your back.
Which is key to getting mentioned in this blog.
My regret is not telling him that I love him.
And his orange toque.
Just kidding.
I pass the fancy new building that MUN has. Whatever it's called. I look through the glass walls and see there is a function of some sort going on.
There are students. There are professors.
More to the point, there is a buffet.
And I'm standing there. Looking in. Trying to figure out how I can lie to these people long enough to get some food from the buffet.
I stand outside the building for (without exaggeration) a decent minute or minute and a half, contemplating the necessary moves.
And I back out. I do not enter the building and weave whatever magnificent lies I would have came up with.
Twenty minutes later and I'm appalled with myself already.
People always say 'next time'. But I swear, dear readers, next time, next time I'm going in that building.
Though I get queasy when I play sports, I was never one to be socially nervous.
I am in the process of kicking off flaked rust.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

So far, the major highlight of law school has been the free food. It's why I'm a joiner now; I go to info sessions and training sessions and colloquia to get the pizza or h'or d'ourves and sandwiches. I've even taken home extra food a number of times where I was one of the last to leave - entire pizzas! I make it known that I live on campus and am a poor hapless Newfoundlander, and they just start handing it over.
It's the only thing so far in law school that I'm good at.
I'm not even going to pretend that I know how to spell hors dourves.

Blog Archive