Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"She's My Little Deuce Coupe, You Don't Know What I Got"

I asked my father about purchasing his first car on Friday, over steaks. It was actually a very pleasing story for me to hear. I implore you all to do the same thing. I believe that too easily we forget that our parents were trying just as hard to get laid when they were young as we are now (excluding you squares in long-term relationships). Ever see a teacher in a grocery store when you were a kid? You were blown away because your teacher actually BUYS GROCERIES LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!? This is sort of the same phenomena. I was never blown away to see teachers buying groceries because the same teacher was likely in my home earlier that week to celebrate my mother's birthday. To hear him speak of it was humbling to a degree. I could see that Dad was getting wistful in the process. And rightly so; my dad is old. This likely happened a long time ago.
"I was around your age. So-and-so had just bought a brand new car. I asked him how he could have afforded it. "'Just tell them you have a degree from MUN (which dad had), and you're about to start teaching (which he was at that time), and they'll give you the money.' So, I went to the bank, and I told them. And they said, 'How much would you like, Mr. Warford?' They covered the cost of the car up to within $500 of the asking price. Dad leant me the other five hundred. I took the bus into town, and I remember I had two dollars in my pocket. I went and picked her out, and took her to put two dollars of gas in 'er. She was a '68 Ford Fairlane 500, fastback. She had black bucket seats, and she was maroon outside. They weren't around much longer after that because they had their name changed to the Ford Torino. I took her to the station, and the man pumping gas next to me said, 'That's a nice machine you've got.' I told him I'd just bought it. But I don't think he believed me. It was a very nice car... Dad told me to forget about paying him back the five hundred dollars."
I hope I can tell my kids a story like that, some day. I hope I can own a car.


1 comment:

trac54 said...

Your dad's first car sorta looked like a canoe.

I wish I could drive a canoe.

Blog Archive