Monday, July 23, 2007

I hear you knockin...(crescendo), or The Dolls Have Eyes


It's a few days ago:
Turpin and I are stoned in Chateau Warford. Please don't judge us, by the way. There's not a whole lot to do in Bay Roberts - even on a Saturday. We were going to go hang out in the McDonald's parking lot, but Turpin got on da go with Rodney last weekend, and Trevor might've been up there, and if he was there and Turpin was there, he'd be at her, and then Rodney and Trevor would've gotten into it.
So, we're in Chateau Warford and we are committing various infractions that would infuriate my mother (who terrifies everyone). We are smoking pot in the kitchen. We are trying on various clothing from my childhood closets. We are making a huge mess around the house, which was immaculate when my mother left.
I jokingly suggest that we have a tea party with mom's dolls. Mom's dolls are as significant to her as her children are. The number one rule in the Warford household, once we started drinking and began worrying about getting caught was: Do Not Touch The Dolls.
So, I'm posing the with the little crippled doll in the wheelchair while Turpin takes pictures. We consider freeing them all (an idea that has been entertained and ultimately discarded before), and instead secure them in their prison once more.
Then we play cards because we're in Bay Roberts. We play Crazy 8s because we're too unorganized to play an actual game of anything.
If you can believe it, Turpin has never heard of Crazy 8s & 3s before.
This was a appendix to the classic version of the game that I invented as we were playing.
I believe that Turpin, being the oldest of her siblings, needs someone around who will occasionally pester her just for the fun of it. This is my job. Technically, it is also Claire and Jennah's job, since they never seem to treat her as the oldest (nor did they when they were young).
Regardless, I randomly throw down a three, and change it to spades, and Turpin immediatley starts arguing over semantics to the game of Crazy 8s. I banter back, since there's nothing better to do. I occasionally attempt to change the current suit with whatever 3s I have throughout the course of our Crazy 8s (&3s) bout.
We photograph everything in order to document the evening (us playing cards by ourselves on a Saturday night).
We put on a movie that takes us forever to pick at the video store, and I immediately fall asleep.
Turpin went to work at her shoe cobbling, or whatever it is that she does at night.
I have to be up early the next morning. I have to work at 11, and I have to drive into St. John's before I can very well work there. So, I (Turpin) set(s) an alarm for 9:15.


No comments:

Blog Archive