Monday, July 30, 2007

Boys Don't Cry

It's the wedding rehearsal.
"Rehearsal," in this context, translates into "trivialities." Wedding trivialities. That's what we are there for.
At least my soon-to-be Sister-in-law has coupled it with a barbecue. And beer. And wine. And groomsman gifts.
Andrea has asked a friend to play an acoustic song as she walks down the aisle. She's a musician. A female musician.
I've always wanted to date a female musician because:
A) I always seem to lose to musicians. As they say, if you can't beat 'em, have sex with em', and,
B) I find male musicians' stubble to be too scratchy.
She sounds very lovely. She is small-breasted.
The barbecue is in full swing and people are milling about. I am avoiding conversation with all of them.
I start speaking with the female musician, Erin. She initiates. We chat. I'm being very witty (wittier than I should be under the circumstances).
She comments on how nervous she is about performing for the wedding. I tell her to not worry. I suggest that she simply tell herself that she's better than everyone else who is watching her.
Sidebar: This is not what I do to get over stage fright as I rarely suffer from stage fright, but I do believe this to be a legitimate tactic.
I tell her that the grounds are bucolic (this is not the actual word I used), the bride will be pretty, and she (Erin) will sound soft and pleasant, and it will all obviously go swimmingly for her (which it did).
She asks if I do stand-up comedy.
People often find out about the stand-up from a friend, and then they ask because they're curious, or because they're pretending to seem interested.
I ask if Andrea told her about it.
Get this: She didn't know about it. Instead, she played at a festival with a lot of comics, and I have the "exact same demeanor."
This is the greatest comedy compliment I've received so far, whether it was intended to be or not.
We talk for some time on our philosophies of performing, our opinions on various issues. No exaggeration, it is the best conversation I have had during an initial meeting with a woman in some time. It's really up there.
She dates a member of The Cure.
Of course she does.
I ask Brian which one, after he breaks the news to me.
He says that the guy owns multiple flats in Europe, and a recording studio in London, and therefore it "doesn't matter."
He's right. It doesn't. Over time, when retelling the story, Colin always interjects here and says, "...and then Paul asked which member it was! Like if it was the bassist maybe he had a shot!"
She doesn't remember their names, but one of the comics present was Harland Williams. He was in Half-Baked.
Good enough for me.

edit: Though I'm sure I described this in a post already, I couldn't find it.
Reading this again in 2015, I feel I should mention that I had a run-in with Harland Williams at Just For Laughs in 2010 when on my way to my first-ever (and only) 'industry' after-party.
I went past two velvet ropes and beefy security guys to get onto an elevator that was empty except for Harland Williams. I said nothing as the elevator rose, and when the doors opened onto a giant, 20-foot ceiling'd space with an open bar, and a cook ladling up smoked meat sandwiches, he said, "Go have fun for once in your life!" I know that that doesn't sound particularly funny (I know this because I've told the story several times and no one ever laughs), but it was funny when he said it.

1 comment:

trac54 said...

Wow, the cure?

How old was this chick?

Blog Archive