Friday, August 3, 2007

Lady Luck

For you doubters out there:
The day after Brian's wedding, I wanted to play pool in the hotel games room. I play pool. Whatever. Moving on.
I scoped it out beforehand, and I knew that the price was $1.50 (which is unreasonable, by the way). I always check the price on pool tables when I'm in an establishment that houses one.
Also, if I'm eating in a fancy restaurant, I check the flatware and silverware to see who made it. In case I recognize the name. Remember when you used to go to birthday parties, and they had the "special cup"? Everyone had a styrofoam cup for their Dr. Pepper, but only one cup had a squigly marked on it by the mother of the birthday boy/girl. If you were the one who had the cup, you won a prize? Remember? And you'd lift your plate and cup while they still had food on them/Dr. Pepper in them? It's kinda like that. I'm very strange.
I can recognize Steelite these days without even checking, usually.
So, we're preparing to check out, and I decide I'm going to rush a game of 9-ball while my other family members do things that are organized and rational.I have a two-dollar coin. I know I need quarters and loonies for this deal. I find a pop machine in the little icebox alcove on our floor, and I insert the toonie. I hit the change button.Nothing.I curse, and try to get a root beer, since I know damn well that this edifice isn't going to be dispensing any change for me.
Nothing.
I didn't really want to play pool anyway. And I didn't want to drink anything.
That's one Warford.

Colin and I have to fly home the following day. There appears to be no obnoxious children frolicking about our gate. There are two button-down children of about seven who appear to be more mature than us. They appear to be the only young'ns flying with us.
The parents of those three seperate babies who were seated within two rows of us must have been buying magazines as we were examining our chances.
The button-downs were in first class.
That's two Warfords.

Mom and Dad are flying home from Toronoto the day following that. Meanwhile, Colin has a seperate flight to Labrador on the same day.
Tropical storm.
That's three Warfords.

I suppose that if all five of us had to do something important on the same day, North America would simply sink into the sea. Or it would rain car batteries. Something.
I never once had the special cup. Or plate.

No comments:

Blog Archive