Monday, August 27, 2007

Liner Notes

Comedy again tonight. I show. I'm waiting to get on. Peter is trying to figure out how to insert the camcorder battery into the slot. Shandera didn't give him a rundown beforehand, aparantly.
Peter used to be a key grip.
Anyway, Shandera and Bussey show, despite having told me they were commited to another function for the evening. Others are milling about from various circles of groups that I have managed to infect at some point or another.
Tonight I experienced a realm of comedy that I have never encountered before: following good acts.
Which I did. And I killed it, but with less finese than last time.
An older fellow named George (no surname) hits the stage before me. He is slim, bent, bearded, and has a balding swooped-back coif of some sort that ties into a pony tail.
And we're looking at each other with sideways glances. And we're whispering "Is that George Carlin?"
I never would have thought there was a professional impersonator living in Newfoundland.
His material was original, despite having a borrowed look.
Amazing, this guy. So funny while making it all seem so effortless to him. Has been in the business for 40 years. Has an angent. Manager.
I write my advertisements on kitchen prep lists and post them to bulletin boards. I make facefuck events.
He and I spoke for some time afterward, and he told me many many encouraging things that leave me wishing that I could simply shirk responability and hit the road for the next few years.
My mother has a blood pressure condition. There's medication. Color-coded pills. It's not a good idea.
He told me to 'stick with it', amongst other things. I gathered more tonight than I have since I started.
He told me he is attempting to organize a competition in Mt. Pearl. $1000 purse. I told him that if he solidified it, I was 'in'.
I have VISA payments that need attention.
It felt good.
And for once, there's a tape.
That can be played in North American cameras.

2 comments:

trac54 said...

He seemed like a very cool old guy.
The only thing that pissed me off more than anything is the fact that you were psyched to speak with him and that dumb, annoying french girl was totally ruining it for you.

Turnip said...

Send me the tape, please.
Or internet it somewhere where I can see it
and miss you
or be jealous
or whatever emotion I will feel when I watch you

I'm not a psychic, quit pestering me.

Douche.

Blog Archive