Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Are We On This Again?"

I have to write something.
It is only a paragraph, and yet I have to read a decent-sized article in order to concoct the article.
Poverty.
I park at Burton's Pond. True friends would already know this.
We all know how passionate I have been getting about birds lately.
Ducks are great. Here's a picture of an ostrich. *
Etc.
Well, last night was a pretty intense bird moment.
They may have been sparrows. Something small. Swallows? Do we have swallows here?
There's a wee little island/bank in the middle of Burton's Pond. There are trees. Shrubs.
It appears to be kinda...moving as I walk by.
Because the foilage on the island is consumed with birds. Of one species. And more are arriving.
They fly into the trees in groups of between 5 and 30. From different directions. They swoop.
I cannot swoop.
They move very quickly, and swerve below telephone wires and above cars. I worry one of them is going to fuck up and effectively mash his or her little bird brains.
They do not fuck up.
They're loud. They can be heard plainly within the area.
I watch approximately 200 or so add to the pile that is already tucked away in there.
I do not know the final numbers.
I think they were prepping to fly south.
It's a good meeting spot; centre of town. It's near the mall.
I stood and watched and wondered various things about animal life.
I received so many looks.
Is it that strange, really? It was very interessting.
They were a spectacle. You can watch spectacles.
People are so weird.

So am I:
After I finished, I passed the music building. Behind a window I saw a male cellist celloing.
I considered standing right outside of the window, where I would watch intently .
When he would eventually turn around, I'd start applauding enthusiastically.
But I had to buy toothpaste.

*these links (to other posts within the blog) were only added recently.

No comments:

Blog Archive